It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 22:38
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2016, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
00:00

Question Stats:

66% (00:47) correct 33% (01:10) wrong based on 6 sessions
A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue. If you remove marbles one at a time, randomly, what is the minimum number that must be removed to be certain that you have at least 2 marbles of each colour?

A. 6
B. 10
C. 12
D. 16
E. 18
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 1605 [2] , given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2016, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here we have 10 Blue 6 White and 4 Red. The worst case scenario you pull all white and blue before you pull 2 red.

Hence minimum number of marbles you need the pull is all 10 white, 6 White and 2 Red.

Number of marbles to be removed = \(10 + 6 + 2\) = \(18\)

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 114 [1] , given: 0

Re: A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue [#permalink] New post 06 May 2018, 16:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SJ wrote:
A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue. If you remove marbles one at a time, randomly, what is the minimum number that must be removed to be certain that you have at least 2 marbles of each colour?

A. 6
B. 10
C. 12
D. 16
E. 18

Assume the worst case scenario, that is, you remove all 10 blue marbles and all 6 white marbles; you still don’t have any marbles in red. However, if you remove 2 more marbles (and they must be red), then you will have at least 2 marbles of each color. Therefore, you need to remove a total of 18 marbles to ensure you will have at least 2 marbles of each color.

Answer: E

Jeffery Miller
Head of GRE Instruction

GRE Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 14:37
what I don't understand is why this must be a worst case scenario. the question asks for the minimum number that must be removed -- doesn't that mean best case scenario? In which case, wouldn't the answer be 4 red+6 white+2 blue = 12?
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 1605 [3] , given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anabanana wrote:
what I don't understand is why this must be a worst case scenario. the question asks for the minimum number that must be removed -- doesn't that mean best case scenario? In which case, wouldn't the answer be 4 red+6 white+2 blue = 12?

The key is in the language of the question: 'the minimum number of marbles removed so that you are certain', certain being the keyword here. Now you can remove the 12 marbles as you pointed out but can you be certain that you have each kind.

Say you pick twelve: 10 blue and 2 white. Hence no red at in the selection. Hence we assume the worst case scenario.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 15:51

A jar contains 20 marbles: 4 red, 6 white and 10 blue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact