It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 13:24
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 66

A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2017, 01:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for fourteen days. If the lodge decides to save fuel by turning off the heat in 5 unoccupied rooms, and each room requires the same amount of fuel to heat it, how many extra FULL days will the fuel supply last?

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 18
(E) 19

I have a doubt about the OA, so please give me your insight, then I'll disclose it to you.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
GRE 1: 323 Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 787 [2] , given: 134

Re: A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2017, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
IlCreatore wrote:
A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for fourteen days. If the lodge decides to save fuel by turning off the heat in 5 unoccupied rooms, and each room requires the same amount of fuel to heat it, how many extra FULL days will the fuel supply last?

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 18
(E) 19

I have a doubt about the OA, so please give me your insight, then I'll disclose it to you.

The lodge has fuel for 20 rooms heated for (14) days = 280 “fuel-days” of fuel. Fuel day is fuel required to heat one room for one day.

If the lodge only needs to heat 15 rooms instead of 20, divide 280 by 15 to get 18.666….

You are asked for FULL days, so round down to get 18.

So originally we had heated room for 14 days now we have 18. Hence there are 4 more days.

Hence option B is correct!

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Director
Director
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 66

Re: A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2017, 09:37
sandy wrote:
IlCreatore wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 18
(E) 19

The lodge has fuel for 20 rooms heated for (14) days = 280 “fuel-days” of fuel. Fuel day is fuel required to heat one room for one day.

If the lodge only needs to heat 15 rooms instead of 20, divide 280 by 15 to get 18.666….

You are asked for FULL days, so round down to get 18.

So originally we had heated room for 14 days now we have 18. Hence there are 4 more days.

Hence option B is correct!

Thank you, you comfort me. I spent hours trying to understand why ManhattanPrep reported OA as D. We are asked EXTRA full days, not full days.
1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 457 [1] , given: 3

Re: A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2017, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
IlCreatore wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 18
(E) 19

Let's assign some "nice" values to this scenario.
Let's say that we're heating the rooms with firewood, and it takes 1 log to heat the room for 1 day.

A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for 14 days
So, heating 20 rooms would require 20 logs/day.
So, in 14 days, the NUMBER of logs the lodge need to burn = (20)(14) = 280
In other words, the lodge has 280 logs

...the lodge decides to save fuel by turning off the heat in 5 unoccupied rooms, and each room requires the same amount of fuel to heat it
So, we will heat only 15 rooms, and each room burns 1 log per day.
So, the number of DAYS the logs will last = 280/15 = 18 2/3

How many extra FULL days will the fuel supply last?
Answer = 18 2/3 days - 14 days = 4 2/3 days

The question asks for FULL days, so turning off the heat to 5 rooms will extend the fuel supply by 4 FULL days.

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Founder of greenlighttestprep.com

Check out the online reviews of our course

Re: A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 07:58

A hunting lodge has enough fuel to keep 20 rooms heated for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms of Use| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact