It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 20:29
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A construction company will produce identical metal supports

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
A construction company will produce identical metal supports [#permalink] New post 30 May 2016, 16:06
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (00:43) correct 20% (01:26) wrong based on 15 sessions
A construction company will produce identical metal supports in the shape of a right triangle with legs of length 3 feet and 4 feet. The three sides of each triangular support are to be constructed of metal stripping. If the company has a total of 6,000 feet of metal stripping and there is no waste of material in the construction of the supports, what is the greatest possible number of supports that the company can produce?

A. 428
B. 500
C. 545
D. 600
E. 1,000

Practice Questions
Question: 6
Page: 101
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: A construction company will produce identical metal supports [#permalink] New post 30 May 2016, 16:09
Expert's post
Explanation

Since each support is in the shape of a right triangle with legs of length 3 feet and 4 feet, the length of the third side of the support is \(\sqrt{3^2 + 4^2}\), or 5 feet. The total length of the stripping of each support is therefore 3 + 4 + 5, or 12 feet. The company has 6,000 feet of metal stripping available. So, with no waste, the greatest possible number of supports that can be produced is \(\frac{6000}{12}\), or 500. The correct answer is Choice B.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 15

Re: A construction company will produce identical metal supports [#permalink] New post 31 May 2016, 06:10
3,4,5 is the right angle triangle. So the number of 3,4,5 is the right angle triangles that can be formed from 6000 feet is 6000/12 = 500
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: A construction company will produce identical metal supports [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2016, 06:15
Hi all,

Why do we add 3+4+5? I thought we determine the area of the triangle and then divide 6000 by that number?

What am I missing?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: A construction company will produce identical metal supports [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2016, 20:11
I disagree with this one. If the legs of the table are 3 feet and 4 feet then the third side of the support would need to be screwed on as an attachment to the underside of the table. This means that the hypotenuse is 4 feet and the straight part of the table leg is 3 feet, and the missing section of the support is the square root of 16-9, which is the square root of 5. Therefore the answer would be 6000/(3+4+square root of 5). Without doing further calculations we know that the square root of 5 is between 2 and 3, so the answer is between 6000/9 and 6000/10 so it is between 600 and 666. None of the answers listed are correct. Otherwise the question needs to be rewritten to make clear that the 3 feet length is the base of the table, not the table leg itself.
Re: A construction company will produce identical metal supports   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2016, 20:11

A construction company will produce identical metal supports

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact