It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 21:42
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A certain coin with heads on one side and tails on the other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1664 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
A certain coin with heads on one side and tails on the other [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2018, 14:29
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

100% (00:53) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
A certain coin with heads on one side and tails on the other has a \(\frac{1}{2}\) probability of landing on heads. If the coin is flipped 5 times, how many distinct outcomes are possible if the last flip must be heads? Outcomes are distinct if they do not contain exactly the same results in exactly the same order.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1664 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: A certain coin with heads on one side and tails on the other [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 16:51
Expert's post
Explanation

This problem utilizes the fundamental counting principle, which states that the total number of choices is equal to the product of the independent choices. For the first flip, there are 2 options: heads or tails.

Similarly, for the second flip, there 2 options; for the third, there are 2 options; for the fourth, there are 2 options; and for the fifth there is only one option because the problem restricts this final flip to heads. Therefore, the total number of outcomes is (2)(2)(2)(2)(1) = 16. A good rephrasing of this question is, “How many different outcomes are
there if the coin is flipped 4 times?” The fifth flip, having been restricted to heads, is irrelevant.

Therefore, the total number of ways to flip the coin five times with heads for the fifth flip is equal to the total number of ways to flip the coin four times; either way, the answer is 16.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: A certain coin with heads on one side and tails on the other   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 16:51

A certain coin with heads on one side and tails on the other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact