It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 11:42
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A bag contains 6 red chips numbered 1 through 6, respectivel

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
A bag contains 6 red chips numbered 1 through 6, respectivel [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2018, 14:28
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

33% (00:00) correct 66% (00:40) wrong based on 3 sessions
A bag contains 6 red chips numbered 1 through 6, respectively, and 6 blue chips numbered 1 through 6, respectively. If 2 chips are to be picked sequentially from the bag of 12 chips, without replacement, what is the probability of picking a red chip and then a blue chip with the same number?

Give your answer as a fraction.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
\(\frac{1}{22}\)

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: A bag contains 6 red chips numbered 1 through 6, respectivel [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 16:46
Expert's post
Explanation

The trap answer in this problem is \(\frac{1}{6}\times \frac{1}{6}\).

This is not the answer to the question being asked—rather, this is the answer to the question, “What is the probability of picking a red chip and then a blue chip that both have #3?” (or any other specific number). This is a more specific question than the one actually asked. In the question, asked, there are six possible ways to fulfill the requirements of the problem, not one, because the problem does not specify whether the number should be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Thus, any of the 6 red chips is acceptable for the first pick. However, on the second pick, only the blue chip with the same number as the red one that was just picked is acceptable (the chip must “match” the first one picked). Thus:

\(\frac{6}{12}\times \frac{1}{11}=\frac{1}{22}\).

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: A bag contains 6 red chips numbered 1 through 6, respectivel   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 16:46

A bag contains 6 red chips numbered 1 through 6, respectivel

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact