It is currently 16 Jun 2019, 22:36
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

a ≠ b

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4810
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1895 [0], given: 397

a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2018, 12:28
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

62% (00:37) correct 37% (00:36) wrong based on 37 sessions
\(a \neq b\)

Quantity A
Quantity B
\(\frac{a-b}{b-a}\)
1


A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Director
Director
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 901
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 147

CAT Tests
Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2018, 07:51
sandy wrote:
\(a \neq b\)

Quantity A
Quantity B
\(\frac{a-b}{b-a}\)
1


A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.



From the statement; statement B > Statement 1

If we put any values in Statement 1 it will always result = -1 which is less than statement 2
_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button


Rules for Posting https://greprepclub.com/forum/rules-for ... -1083.html

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 6

Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2018, 17:01
(a-b)/(b-a)=(a-b)/-(a-b)=-1<1 -> B
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

1 KUDOS received
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4810
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1895 [1] , given: 397

Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2018, 07:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

Plug in any two unequal values for a and b, and Quantity A will always be equal to –1. This is because a negative sign can be factored out of the top or bottom of the fraction to show that the top and bottom are the same, except for their signs:

\(\frac{a-b}{b-b}=\frac{a-b}{-(a-b)}=-1\)
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Mar 2019
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2019, 06:20
@ScottTargetTestPrep @Sandy

A quick help, please!

I was trying a different approach, but I does not work, why?

I did the following:


Quant A
a-b/b-a

Quant B
1 is the same as b-a/b-a

so, I need to compare a-b (Quant A) with b-a (Quant B)

Just I pick some numbers, but the answer is D:

Option 1: a=2, b=-3


QA: a-b = -1
QB: b-a = -3-2 = -5
so QA>QB

Option 1: a=-2, b=3

QA: a-b = 1
QB: b-a = 3+2 =5
so QB>QA

Why?
_________________

Diana

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 1962
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 1792 [1] , given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2019, 06:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dcmartinezp wrote:
@ScottTargetTestPrep @Sandy

A quick help, please!

I was trying a different approach, but I does not work, why?

I did the following:


Quant A
a-b/b-a

Quant B
1 is the same as b-a/b-a

so, I need to compare a-b (Quant A) with b-a (Quant B)

Just I pick some numbers, but the answer is D:

Option 1: a=2, b=-3


QA: a-b = -1
QB: b-a = -3-2 = -5
so QA>QB

Option 1: a=-2, b=3

QA: a-b = 1
QB: b-a = 3+2 =5
so QB>QA

Why?


You got here:
QUANTITY A: (a-b)/(b-a)
QUANTITY B: (b-a)/(b-a)

From here, you basically multiplied both quantities by (b-a) to get:
QUANTITY A: (a-b)
QUANTITY B: (b-a)


This is where the problem lies.
We don't know whether (b-a) is POSITIVE or NEGATIVE.

As such, we cannot multiply both quantities by (b-a)

For more on this, watch the following:

_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
Image
Sign up for my free GRE Question of the Day emails

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Mar 2019
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 11

Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2019, 07:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi @GreenlightTestPrep Brent, thank you by your message!

It's a little confuse for me that I have just the option provided by Sandy/MGRE. Just I imagine myself doing the test and no be sure that I could use picking numbers or another strategy..


How do you do this exercise using picking numbers without a err as I had?
I tried two options, just because I was conscious that I do not know whether the values of a and b are positive or negative, integers of fractions.


Thank you
_________________

Diana

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 1962
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 1792 [1] , given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: a ≠ b [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2019, 09:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dcmartinezp wrote:
Hi @GreenlightTestPrep Brent, thank you by your message!

It's a little confuse for me that I have just the option provided by Sandy/MGRE. Just I imagine myself doing the test and no be sure that I could use picking numbers or another strategy..


How do you do this exercise using picking numbers without a err as I had?
I tried two options, just because I was conscious that I do not know whether the values of a and b are positive or negative, integers of fractions.


Thank you

It's totally fine to test values. HOWEVER, you cannot first simplify the quantities as you did the first time.

We start with:
QUANTITY A: (a-b)/(b-a)
QUANTITY B: 1

Case 1
If a = 2, and b = -3, we get:
QUANTITY A: (2 - -3)/(-3 - 2) = 5/-5 = -1
QUANTITY B: 1
Quantity B is greater


Case 2
If a = -2, and b = 3, we get:
QUANTITY A: (-2 - 3)/(3 - -2) = -5/5 = -1
QUANTITY B: 1
Quantity B is greater


Case 3
If a = 1, and b = 7, we get:
QUANTITY A: (1 - 7)/(7 - 1) = -7/7 = -1
QUANTITY B: 1
Quantity B is greater


Case 4
If a = 11, and b = 2, we get:
QUANTITY A: (11 - 2)/(2 - 11) = 9/-9 = -1
QUANTITY B: 1
Quantity B is greater

Etc...

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
Image
Sign up for my free GRE Question of the Day emails

Re: a ≠ b   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 09:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

a ≠ b

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.