It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 12:58
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

1/4+1/3+1/2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 13700
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 3546 [1] , given: 12654

CAT Tests
1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2018, 08:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (00:46) correct 19% (01:18) wrong based on 135 sessions
Quantity A
Quantity B
\(\frac{1}{4 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{2}}\)
\(\frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{4}}\)


A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Kudos for R.A.E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club resources at a glance (sort of ) ?? Look at GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree page
- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club FREE resources in one spot ?? Look at Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
- Do you want all the FREE GRE tests on earth ?? Look at FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
- Do you want to know the GRE score in the Top 25 BS in 7 continents ?? Look at here The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed.
- Need Practice 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
- GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 1302
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 1332 [2] , given: 251

Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2018, 18:29
2
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Quantity A
Quantity B
\(\frac{1}{4 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{2}}\)
\(\frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{4}}\)


A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Kudos for R.A.E



QTY A = \({\frac{1}{4 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{2}}} = {\frac{1}{4 + \frac{2}{7}}} = {\frac{1}{28 + \frac{2}{7}}} = {\frac{1}{\frac{30}{7}}} = {\frac{7}{30}}\)


QTY B = \({\frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{4}}} = {\frac{1}{2 + \frac{4}{13}}} = {\frac{1}{26 + \frac{4}{13}}} = {\frac{1}{\frac{30}{13}}} = {\frac{13}{30}}\)


Therefore QTY A < QTY B

Option B
_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button


Rules for Posting

Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month:TOP 10 members of the month with highest kudos receive access to 3 months GRE Prep Club tests

2 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 3873
Followers: 159

Kudos [?]: 4667 [2] , given: 70

Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2018, 15:51
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:
Quantity A
Quantity B
\(\frac{1}{4 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{2}}\)
\(\frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{4}}\)


A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Kudos for R.A.E


We need only recognize that 1/(3 + 1/2) is less than 1
So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 4.something

Likewise, 1/(3 + 1/4) is less than 1
So, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2.something

So, we get:
Quantity A: 1/(4.something)
Quantity B: 1/(2.something)

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
If you enjoy my solutions, you'll like my GRE prep course.
Image
Sign up for GRE Question of the Day emails

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 52

Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2019, 14:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
GreenlightTestPrep wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Quantity A
Quantity B
\(\frac{1}{4 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{2}}\)
\(\frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3 + \frac{1}{4}}\)


A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Kudos for R.A.E


We need only recognize that 1/(3 + 1/2) is less than 1
So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 4.something

Likewise, 1/(3 + 1/4) is less than 1
So, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2.something

So, we get:
Quantity A: 1/(4.something)
Quantity B: 1/(2.something)

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent


Hi Brent, how do we "recognize that 1/(3 + 1/2) is less than 1
So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 4.something

Likewise, 1/(3 + 1/4) is less than 1
So, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2.something" specifically?

I could benefit from seeing how it was worked out fully. Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 3873
Followers: 159

Kudos [?]: 4667 [1] , given: 70

Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2019, 14:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JNeen wrote:

Hi Brent, how do we "recognize that 1/(3 + 1/2) is less than 1
So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 4.something

Likewise, 1/(3 + 1/4) is less than 1
So, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2.something" specifically?

I could benefit from seeing how it was worked out fully. Thank you!


Key concept: If x > 1, then 1/x has a value that's less than 1
For example:
1/2 is less than 1
1/4 is less than 1
1/3.1 is less than 1
1/6.5 is less than 1

Conversely, if 0 < x < 1, then 1/x has a value that's greater than 1
For example:
1/0.5 is greater than 1
1/0.1 is greater than 1
1/0.25 is greater than 1
etc.

3 + 1/4 = 3.25, and 1/3.25 is less than 1
2 + 1/2 = 2.5, and 1/2.5 is less than 1

So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/4) = 4 + (some number that's less than 1)
= 4.something

And, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2 + (some number that's less than 1)
= 2.something

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
If you enjoy my solutions, you'll like my GRE prep course.
Image
Sign up for GRE Question of the Day emails

Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 52

Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2019, 13:46
GreenlightTestPrep wrote:
JNeen wrote:

Hi Brent, how do we "recognize that 1/(3 + 1/2) is less than 1
So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 4.something

Likewise, 1/(3 + 1/4) is less than 1
So, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2.something" specifically?

I could benefit from seeing how it was worked out fully. Thank you!


Key concept: If x > 1, then 1/x has a value that's less than 1
For example:
1/2 is less than 1
1/4 is less than 1
1/3.1 is less than 1
1/6.5 is less than 1

Conversely, if 0 < x < 1, then 1/x has a value that's greater than 1
For example:
1/0.5 is greater than 1
1/0.1 is greater than 1
1/0.25 is greater than 1
etc.

3 + 1/4 = 3.25, and 1/3.25 is less than 1
2 + 1/2 = 2.5, and 1/2.5 is less than 1

So, 4 + 1/(3 + 1/4) = 4 + (some number that's less than 1)
= 4.something

And, 2 + 1/(3 + 1/2) = 2 + (some number that's less than 1)
= 2.something

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent


No but I got it now. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 13700
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 3546 [0], given: 12654

CAT Tests
Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2019, 14:46
Expert's post
Sir, do you have any doubt ??

Regards
_________________

- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club resources at a glance (sort of ) ?? Look at GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree page
- Do you want all the GRE Prep Club FREE resources in one spot ?? Look at Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
- Do you want all the FREE GRE tests on earth ?? Look at FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
- Do you want to know the GRE score in the Top 25 BS in 7 continents ?? Look at here The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed.
- Need Practice 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
- GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Re: 1/4+1/3+1/2   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2019, 14:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

1/4+1/3+1/2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.