It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 01:49
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

So frustrated - what should I do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: AGSM '18
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 04:16
I hope to start an MBA next year and chose to study for the GRE as I read the maths section is slightly easier. I'm a native English speaker with arts degrees so I figured the verbal would be fine and my lack of quant wouldn't be much of an issue.

I've been working for the GRE for a month now, trying to study for two hours a day. I took the test this morning and, despite practice tests suggesting I'd score 164V and 160-164Q, I only managed a 160V, 156Q. Bear in mind I have done absolutely no work on the verbal section as I was confident enough in my own ability - clearly this confidence was misplaced... However, I am still not concerned with scoring over 160 on the verbal. I'd much rather get a good score on the quant section.

Before I'd even started studying for the exam, a PowerTest mock test saw me score 164V and 156Q. I'd been averaging significantly higher than that (on the quant section) in the week leading up to the actual exam.

I am looking at applying to schools like Yale, Duke, Dartmouth: strong schools, but not the top management programmes.

Should I re-take in three weeks, or just stick with the score I've got and apply to lesser courses?

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
GRE 1: 323 Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 736 [1] , given: 127

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
With a little effort, I think, you should be able to improve your quant score significantly. Something along the lines of 10 points.

While this may be a worthwile investment of time (and money) bear in mind that scores are only a part of application. A lot depend on your letters of recommendation and CV and the essay.

What kind of GRE scores are required for your program? If the GRE scores are not too far away ie more than 3-4 points with a good application profile you should have a fighting chance.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 05:12
Hi Sandy, thanks for your response.

The schools I'm looking at ask for around 320 in the GRE, so not much more than I have now.

With regards to my profile, it's not very traditional in that I come from a PR background. I do, however, have a degree from a top 10 global uni and an MA from a top 80 global uni (QS rankings).

I've also lived in 4 different countries (currently working in the Middle East) and have three passports - Irish, UK, Canadian.

In terms of my 'stats' I think they're ok, but I am clearly quite bad at maths...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 08:38
I think you should re-take the GRE because with some effort you can easily score above 160 in Quant. For MBA admissions, they give a lot of weight to the quant score. Also, I would suggest you to study for the verbal scetion this time. You have managed a 160 in verbal without studying. If you study a bit, you can easily score around 165, which will give a big boost to your overall score. As per my knowledge, most B-schools use a conversion chart to convert GRE scores to a GMAT score. If your GRE score converts to a 700 GMAT, you have a very good chance of getting into the schools that you mentioned.

I am a non-native English speaker and despite studying for over a month, I am managing only 158 in verbal. Was the real test difficult compared to the practice tests that you gave?
Intern
Intern

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 08:42
Thanks for your advice, viola. I've rebooked my test for three weeks' time.

Regarding the verbal section, it was about the same difficulty I'd say. Saying that, I did score under what I was expecting, but I'd put this down to other factors, rather than the difficulty of the test.

The issue I had was that my exam was at 7:30 in the morning and I had only managed to get three hours sleep - likely due to nerves. If you're anything like me, I'd advise taking the test at a reasonable hour. I've rescheduled mine for midday so that I can get a good sleep the night before.
Intern
Intern

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 09:41
Great to hear that you have already re-scheduled. Which all and how many practice tests you took before the real GRE? I am taking the GRE on 14th Sept. I agree with you, a good night's sleep is very much important before the exam. My GRE is scheduled at 1 PM. How was the Quant section on the real GRE compared to the practice tests?
Intern
Intern

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 09:49
viola wrote:
Great to hear that you have already re-scheduled. Which all and how many practice tests you took before the real GRE? I am taking the GRE on 14th Sept. I agree with you, a good night's sleep is very much important before the exam. My GRE is scheduled at 1 PM. How was the Quant section on the real GRE compared to the practice tests?

I took around 6 practice tests before the GRE, but I only do timed quant sections, so I wasn't prepared for stamina that the full 5 hour exam requires.

I found the maths on the actual test much harder, but this could have just been my state of mind, which wasn't good.

To give an example, I took a timed practice quant test (PowerTest) the night before and got 164. A full eight points above what I got on test day...

I've also been using Manhattan's practice tests.
Intern
Intern

Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2017, 10:24
Taking full length tests along with the AWA is very important. Even I am facing issues with mental stamina.I have been taking only timed verbal tests. I would suggest you not to take much stress. Your current score is still good enough and I am pretty sure you will score higher than this in your re-take.You just need a 4 point score improvement. Most universities consider 320 a good enough score. I am doing Quant only from the Manhattan books and the 5 lbs book. Do you think that will be sufficient? I am yet to take a full length mock test but Magoosh predicts a 156-160 quant score based on practice question results. I am also planning for an MBA. That's why I need at least 160 on Quant.
Re: So frustrated - what should I do?   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 10:24

So frustrated - what should I do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Moderators

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms of Use| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact