It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 04:56
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Saturn’s giant moon Titan is the only planetary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: 326 Q165 V161
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 64

Saturn’s giant moon Titan is the only planetary [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2016, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Saturn’s giant moon Titan is the only planetary satellite with a significant atmosphere and the only body in the solar system other than Earth that has a thick atmosphere dominated by molecular nitrogen. For a long time, the big question about Titan’s atmosphere was how it could be so thick, given that Jupiter’s moons Ganymede and Callisto, which are the same size as Titan, have none. The conditions for acquiring and retaining a thick nitrogen atmosphere are now readily understood. The low temperature of the protosaturnian nebula enabled Titan to acquire the moderately volatile compounds methane and ammonia (later converted to nitrogen) in addition to water. The higher temperatures of Jupiter’s moons, which were closer to the Sun, prevented them from acquiring such an atmosphere.
21. According to the passage, Titan differs atmospherically from Ganymede and Callisto because of a difference in
A rate of heat loss
B proximity to the Sun
C availability of methane and ammonia
D distance from its planet
E size

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Practice Test Questions
Question: 21
Page: 326

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Director
Director
GRE 1: 326 Q165 V161
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 64

Re: Saturn’s giant moon Titan is the only planetary [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2016, 06:05
Expert's post

Explanations

According to the last two sentences of the paragraph, Titan was able to acquire an atmosphere because of a prevailing low temperature, but Ganymede and Callisto could not because they were at a higher temperature. Because the reason for this difference in temperature was their respective distances from the Sun, Choice B is correct. The passage says nothing about differences in rate of heat loss, availability of methane and ammonia, or distance from their planets, and it explicitly states that the three moons are the same size.

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Re: Saturn’s giant moon Titan is the only planetary   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2016, 06:05

Saturn’s giant moon Titan is the only planetary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact