It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 10:22
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 1059

QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2016, 05:44
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display a circular means of the realization of fate. In one story involving the birth of Cyrus and his rise to power in Asia, Herodotus tells us that the Median king Astyages was having disturbing dreams about his daughter Mandane. We are told that his first dream, in which Mandane’s urine flooded all of Asia, was interpreted ominously by the Magi. As a consequence, when the time came to marry Mandane off, Astyages made what turned out to be a fatal mistake. While there were plenty of wealthy and powerful Medes eligible for marriage, “his fear of the dream made him refuse to marry her to any of them; instead, he gave her to a Persian called Cambyses, whom he found to be of noble lineage and peaceful behavior, although he regarded him as the social inferior by far of a Mede of the middle rank.” Essentially, Astyages altered what would be a normal treatment of the marriage in order to marry his daughter to someone less threatening. This attempt to avoid the prophesy of the first dream backfired however, and when Mandane became pregnant, Astyages had another foreboding dream. This second dream was interpreted to mean that Mandane’s son would rule in Astyages’s place. Herodotus tells us that “[theprophecy of the second dream] was what Astyages was guarding against” when he again took action, telling his advisor Harpagus to kill the baby. This plan backfired as well since Harpagus refused to kill the baby, leading to a complicated chain of events whereby the child—later to be named Cyrus—survived and returned to conquer his grandfather’s kingdom. In this story, Astyages’s downfall is depicted as resulting directly from two major mistakes—marrying Mandane to Cambyses and telling Harpagus to kill their offspring. These mistakes in turn are shown to be motivated by fear of the prophesies of his downfall. Had not some divine force planted the dreams in his head, he would not have taken the steps necessary to fulfill those prophesies. Through this circular path, destiny is unavoidably realized.
Consider each of the answer choices separately and indicate all that apply.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage about Astyages’s view of the Median socio-political structure?

• As a result of his first dream, Astyages believed the threat his daughter posed to him could be through her husband.
  • Astyages believed that it is always best to observe the recommendations of the Magi.
  • Astyages believed that a Persian noble was less of a threat to his position than a Median noble.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
I and III

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Since Astyages reacted to his first dream by altering the marriage arrangements for his daughter (in order to select a less threatening husband), you can infer he believed her husband could be a threat. And since he intentionally selected a Persian rather than a Median, you can infer that he thought a Persian would be less of a threat. However, although you are told that Astyages’ dream was interpreted ominously by the Magi and that as a consequence, he pursued a course of action (indicating that this time, he was influenced by the Magi), you don’t know that he thought it was “always” best to obey the Magi, nor is it clear that the Magi made “recommendations.” Watch out for extreme language.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly undermine the claim that Astyages’s downfall proceeded from two major mistakes?

(A) Mandane’s son would have conquered his grandfather’s kingdom regardless of who his father was.
(B) Astyages’s first dream was in fact a warning against allowing his daughter to marry.
(C) Harpagus would not have killed the baby regardless of whether he knew the prophesy.
(D) Mandane’s husband would have deposed Astyages if he had known why his son was killed.
(E) Astyages’s dreams were better interpreted as advising him not to do anything out of the ordinary.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
One of the two mistakes referred to in the passage was marrying Mandane to Cambyses. But if her son would have deposed Astyages even if he had had a different father, then altering what would have been the normal treatment of her marriage was not a mistake that led to Astyages’s downfall.

Get the 17 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2016, 03:27
This post received
KUDOS
answer for the 1st question
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 9

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2017, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
Please explain the answers

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2017, 03:16
Expert's post
Added OE. Please feel free to ask if something is unclear to you.

regards

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 8

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2017, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
In the first question, the second answer includes the word "always" which is an extreme word not pointed out in the passage. Meanwhile, I am slightely hesitating about the first answer in the first question. Like, the question refers to, precisely, our inference about "Median socio-political structure," altough the first answer, I think, is not directely referring to socio-political structure.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2017, 09:45
I took 5 minutes 20 seconds to read and answer both of the questions. Though I answered both of the questions correctly, I wanted to know if the time I took is bit too much for this essay and what should have been an ideal time for this questions ? Personally, I think I took too much time and it should have only been around 3 minutes or so. Can other experienced readers share the time they took ?

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2017, 01:47
Expert's post
prvk_gre wrote:
I took 5 minutes 20 seconds to read and answer both of the questions. Though I answered both of the questions correctly, I wanted to know if the time I took is bit too much for this essay and what should have been an ideal time for this questions ? Personally, I think I took too much time and it should have only been around 3 minutes or so. Can other experienced readers share the time they took ?

You are right. It is way too much. Even considering that the first one is tough and the other a bit less two minutes (for the first one) plus one minute (for the second one) = 3 minutes. At most

On average 1.50 per question.

Too much 5.20 seconds.

Re: QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2017, 01:47

QOTD # 24 Various tales in Herodotus’s The Histories display

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact