It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 20:15
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

My GRE Prep Story (hopefully useful advice included)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 260 Q163 V158
GPA: 3.84
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
My GRE Prep Story (hopefully useful advice included) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2016, 19:24
This post received
KUDOS
My GRE preparation began this June when I took my first practice test and scored a 155 on the math and 153 on the verbal. With a target score of 160 for each section I knew that I had my work cut out for me. You might be feeling now as I did then, overwhelmed and not knowing where to begin. After recognizing that I had some serious deficiencies in both the math and verbal sections, I sought out the traditional Princeton Review GRE prep book and began reading. I found this text very useful to get a general understanding of the test and its layout. It helped demystify a lot of the questions I had surround the test and its structure. While excellent for a general overview, I found the Princeton Review severely lacking in the sorts of detailed information I would need to improve my math score. I felt confident that I could improve my verbal score using their vocabulary lists and by simply reading more books. However, I needed something else to supplement the Princeton Review's math content. After doing some cursory research online I concluded that hiring an online tutor would be too expensive (costing between $50-$120 for top-tear tutoring). Although tutoring might be a good way to go if money is not of concern, I continued to search for a more cost-effective way to prepare me for the math portion of the test. I stumbled across a website called Target Test Prep which has the sole purpose of preparing students for the math portion of the major standardized tests. I used the free 5-day trial and realized that this is what I needed! The website offered detail coverage of the 20 different types of problems I would encounter on the test. After a month of using this software and simply taking notes my score improved to a 157. However, the big improvement to my score came when I really began to do as many math problems as possible. Target Test Prep offered a number of problems for each of the 20 chapters and that is what helped me out the most. By the end I had done over 1,600 problems and felt much more comfortable with the math section in general. As a result, I scored a 163 just this past week on my test after two total months of preparation. My final verbal score, of 158, was good but not as high as I would have liked. I believe that if I would have found a similar software service to help me prepare for the verbal, I would have done equally as well on the verbal as I had done on the math! However, the advice I would give to students who may feel a little overwhelmed right now is not to worry. Solving lots of problems alone will improve your score drastically! Also, I would suggest Target Test Prep for those who feel their math skills might need a major brush up (as mine did). Best of luck studying!
My GRE Prep Story (hopefully useful advice included)   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2016, 19:24

My GRE Prep Story (hopefully useful advice included)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Moderators

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms of Use| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact