It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 17:06
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2017, 04:46
I took the GRE two weekends ago and just received my diagnostic scores back. I was relatively surprised on the number of difficult questions in the first section of the Verbal section. On a scale of difficulty from 1 - 5 (with 5 being the hardest), 60% of my questions were 4s and 5s in the first verbal section. While in the first part of my math section, only 30% of the questions were 4s and 5s which makes more sense in terms of distribution of difficulty level with the first section of the exam. Is it possible that I just had back luck and just got an usually more difficult first section in reference to the verbal?
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 1068

Re: GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2017, 07:58
Expert's post
Difficult to address this scenario.

The first verbal part is easier than the second one. The latter becomes more difficult if you score well in the first one. However, inside the first battery, one question after another is not adaptive as GMAT, it is already configured out on a certain level.

Probaly you were not focus on, tired.

Nonetheless, who said GRE is easy - there is this myth that GRE is easier than GMAT - does not know about the test itself.

Get the 17 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2017, 08:22
Carcass wrote:
Difficult to address this scenario.

The first verbal part is easier than the second one. The latter becomes more difficult if you score well in the first one. However, inside the first battery, one question after another is not adaptive as GMAT, it is already configured out on a certain level.

Probaly you were not focus on, tired.

Nonetheless, who said GRE is easy - there is this myth that GRE is easier than GMAT - does not know about the test itself.

Thanks. I was more referring to the actual number of difficult questions in the first section of the quant vs. verbal. To address specifically, in my first math section i got only 4 questions that were of level 4 difficulty. While in first section of verbal, I got 9 questions of level 4 difficulty and 3 of level 5. This just seems too skewed to me for the first section of each subject. Does that make sense?

Re: GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2017, 08:27
Expert's post
Yes, totally.

However, you are in front the test and no matter what it seems weird you have to beat it.

That's it.

Regards

Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2017, 08:41
Carcass wrote:
Yes, totally.

However, you are in front the test and no matter what it seems weird you have to beat it.

That's it.

Regards

Totally agree that no matter what the test throws you have to do your best. I just wanted to get some clarity on whether the distribution in the level of difficulty of my questions in the first section of the verbal is normal. Too me it seemed abnormally high, but I would be curious to see if others had same experience. Just seems weird to have 3x as many difficult questions in first section of verbal vs. first section of quant. thanks.

Re: GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2017, 09:03
Expert's post
I read extensively on this, and there is no way to figure it out.

The only thing we do know is that the second part of the test depends on how you score well in the first part.

But assess the disproportion you cite is fuzzy. Probably @GreenlightTestPrep has some insight.

regards

Re: GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 09:03

GRE Adaptive Test - First Verbal Section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Moderators

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact